We are keeping the theme of Vera Pizzeria on the podcast this week with their Bar Manager Jon Karel. Jon has quite the story coming from NYC, touring the world as a drummer for The Number Twelve Looks Like You and Horse the Band and making his way to Buffalo. Along with Cam Rector, he’s helped bring mixology to Buffalo and has really kick started the local cocktail scene. Our conversation ended up going a little longer then expected, so we decided to keep the entire thing and release this week’s podcast as a two part-er.
In part 1, Jon and I discuss the ideal preparation and recovery for drinking, his MSR bartending philosophy, the only time he had to kick someone out of Vera and his former job as a drummer in a touring rock band. In part 2 (click here), we discuss the atmosphere that Jon tries to create at Vera, the local response they received with a business plan of serving $10 cocktails and what he wants Vera/Buffalo’s cocktail scene to become over time.
Just a reminder, check out other great podcasts like the Late Nick Mendola, BuffaBLOG Radio, In Pod Form, Craft Beer Talk, Movie Madness on Audio Buffalo. Also please support our sponsor Consumers Beverages and check out what’s on tap on their website!
- Direct Download Link
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe using anything else (Feed)
- Record Date: 8/28/12
- Length: 39:37
- Intro Music: Kaiser Chiefs “Never Miss a Beat”
- Outro Music: Friendly Fires “Chimes”
- Producer: Tom “Keeper of the Hooch” Burtless
Click here to listen to Part 2.
- Vera Pizzeria: Website, Facebook, Twitter
- Dale DeGroff
- JCC, Lexington Co-op
- MSR: Mixologist, Sage, Rockstar
- Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers
- Jon’s Former Band: The Number Twelve Looks Like You
- Drummer Magazine profile on Jon, Drum Solo with Horse the Band
- Faherty’s, Toro Tapas Bar
- Employee’s Only (NYC)