This week on the podcast we have our good friend Kevin Purdy (In Beta, Buffalo Spree) stopping by and talking about coffee. Honestly, we spent a good 50 minutes just talking about coffee. We recorded this because I know almost nothing about coffee, my morning ritual is usually some type of energy drink (I know, it’s horrible) and I’ve been wanting to quit the habit. Kevin however is one of the most passionate and educated coffee-lovers that I know and he came over to the studio to teach me (and hopefully the listener) on how to brew good coffee and why certain techniques make better tasting coffee. We also did a little experiment before we started recording and brewed some pretty horrible pre-ground Maxwell House in my $12 coffee maker and compared it to Kevin’s fancy Chemex pour over coffee with imported roasted beans that he ground on the spot.
Check out the pictures below from our podcast session and our preview video here.
- Direct Download Link
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe using anything else (Feed)
- Record Date: 4/10/13
- Length: 52:37
- Intro Music: Daft Punk “Get Lucky”
- Outro Music: Dananananaykroyd “Black Wax”
- Producer: Tom Burtless
- Kevin Purdy: Website, @kevinpurdy, In Beta
- What Caffeine Actually Does To Your Brain (aka the start of Kevin’s coffee obsession) [Lifehacker]
- Recipes from the Aeropress Championship
- Coffee Shops: Joe Bean (Rochester), Encompass
- A Guide for Buying Coffee Gear [The Wire Cuter]