This week on the podcast we are talking to Frank and Rachel Dispenza, the owners of Dispenza’s Meat Market and Slaughterhouse. Most people wouldn’t expect a discussion with slaughterhouse owners to be lighthearted or that interesting but the Dispenza’s have a great story and really care about doing the right thing with their business. They bought the Ransomsville market/slaughterhouse around 18 months ago and have been offering high quality cuts of locally raised animals to the general public and some of Western New York’s best restaurants. We talked about the process of opening a market, why they are so selective with the animals they offer at the market, how their lives have changed since opening the business and much more.
Just a reminder, there is an event being held in their honor TOMORROW (11/20) at Artisan Kitchens and Baths. For $50 you will gain entrance to the event and have food prepared by the various Trattoria Aroma Chef’s using some local proteins as well as a cash bar and live music.
- Direct Download Link
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe using anything else (Feed)
- Record Date: 11/15/13
- Length: 54:09
- Intro Music: Beware of Darkness “Howl”
- Outro Music: Gemini Club “By Surprise”
- Producer: Tom Burtless
- Dispenza’s Meat Market & Slaughterhouse: Website, Facebook, Twitter
- “Staying Alive” at the Slaughterhouse – 11/20/13 @ 6pm
- Food, Inc. [IMDB]
- Farms: T-Meadow Farms (pork), Stillwater Farms (lamb), Blackman Homestead Farms